Assignment 30A Final Reflection

Assignment 30A Final Reflection
  • After reading through my posts from this semester I think the most formative experience  for me was having to think of of problems as opportunities.  When we were asked to compile a list of twenty things that "bugged" us.  I thought I would never come up with the list.  I found a couple of things easily and then I was stumped.  What this assignment did was fine tune my vision and perception about what was going on around me every day.  I have learned to identify simple problems and to look for solutions that would solve those problems. 
  • The experience that I will remember forever is doing multiple elevator pitches with tattoo sleeves on.  My first elevator pitch took me forever because I would laugh, stutter, forget to take off sleeves...lots of bloopers!  
  • My most joyous experience was watching all of the elevator pitches of the other students who submitted their pitches for Dr. Pryor's feedback.  It was interesting, fun and entertaining to watch Dr. Pryor as he watched. 
  • I am most proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone to ask people for interviews. I never thought I would walk into a tattoo shop but I did and I met some very interesting people along the way. This class has pushed me to do things that are naturally uncomfortable and be semi-successful a lot of the time. 
  • At the beginning of the semester, I would say I was not even close to having an entrepreneurial mindset. Now that we are approaching the end of the semester, I would say I have moved closer to developing an entrepreneurial mindset in that I have learned to identify problems more specifically and narrow the who, what, and how of an opportunity. I also find myself looking at products and ventures now and think about the life cycle and how will they remain viable and competitive. 
  • If I had to make one recommendation to those who are venturing down the entrepreneurial path is not to think about a product or service that they think is wonderful.  Find a problem, figure out who has it, and how to solve it and think simple.  
  • For those entering this class, I would recommend the same advice.  The entire course is centered around finding problems, who has them and solving the problem.  
  • In order to perform best in this course and get the most benefit, start by reading the syllabus in its entirety.  Do not skim over it.  The instructions for success are detailed and outlined to create a path of success.  Be proactive and plan! Work ahead and do not wait until the last minute on assignments.  There are many people to interview and that cannot be done on a whim; it must be planned.  Sometimes, interviewees do not work out. Have extra in mind. I tried to have an extra interview most of the time.  Being proactive was key to my success and helped me appreciate the entrepreneurial process.
  • Fostering a proactive mindset I think is part of the entrepreneurial spirit.  Thinking ahead, planning and hard work are all part of the process.  I recommend that those who take this class develop their ability to be proactive in order to be successful. This will require time management.  Spend time reviewing assignments well in advance to be prepared for what will be required to complete them. One last suggestion for students taking ENT3003, learn to laugh at yourselves!  I certainly did! 

Comments

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading through your final reflection assignment. I agree with you about how it was hard to create the bug list and then create an opportunity idea from these problems. I also agree that this class pushed me to think like an entrepreneur and have the same mindset as them. I think your advice to future students is good, I said something similar to this because it is smart to plan ahead for this class that way you can get the assignments done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    Your final assignment was a great story tale ending. You recommended my favorite thing which was to laugh at yourself while taking this class. That is definitely something to stand by because you cannot be too hard on yourself. Time management is essential in order to make an A+ in this class. We both enjoyed the elevator pitches which was something in common that I noticed for both of our postings. Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment