Assignment 26A Celebrating Failure

Assignment 26A Celebrating Failure
1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 
  • This semester here at UF I have had a HUGE technology learning curve.  Enrolling in online classes is something new to me and I am an extrovert (ENSJ) on the Meyers Briggs scale so I need to have people around more often than not.  Since starting in this program, I have been, at times, overwhelmed with "learning to learn" in a distance learning platform.  My first couple of assignments in this class when I submitted the wrong URL was devastating.  I lost all of the points associated with those posts.  Needless to say, I was heartbroken because I pride myself on my ability to follow directions and I failed to fully read the syllabus which clearly outlined the instructions and how not to do the very thing I had done. 
  • Next, a couple of assignments later, I failed again...but different this time.  I failed to declare the assignments that cost me more points.  Beyond that, I had worked hard on the assignments and getting no credit was just hard to swallow.  I knew I would then have to do the extra credit workshop which would mean additional work on top of my classes and work.  

2) Tell us what you learned from it.
  • What I learned from these failures this semester is that with anything I do not know a lot about, I must take some additional time to clearly understand the details.  Ask better questions and leave plenty of time for corrections.  I also learned some valuable technical skills which are going to serve me well in the coming semesters here at UF.  I double, triple check myself if I have the slightest doubt.  I am not afraid to ask questions and I am thankful for the help I have received from some of my more tech savvy friends.  I have learned to take these set backs in stride and use them as a learning experience of what not to do in the future. 

3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
  • With failure comes a plethora of emotions good and bad.  For me, failure first comes with some painful reality that I have not achieved what I set out to do.  Absolutely, I feel embarrassed as well.  But after a short time of lamenting over the failure, I think about what I need to do to not make the same mistake again.  It is certain I am going to continue to fail at some things, especially ventures, projects and assignments that are difficult but I know that is not going to stop me from trying.  There also is sometimes fear associated with failing but I believe harnessing that fear and using it to drive me through to the next endeavor and help me to ultimately succeed.  
  • This class has most definitely taught me to take more risks than before I started.  If someone had told me I would be talking to strangers about their tattoos four months ago or that I would be selling golf balls as an MVP for an assignment, I would have vehemently declined that opportunity.  Now, here I am doing things totally out of my comfort zone.  Like the photo with the quote I posted earlier this term, my mind is much more like a parachute, functioning better because it is open.   

Comments

  1. Hey Stephanie,

    I heavily relate to the utter disappointment you felt when you'd realized you'd submitted the wrong links. This was also my biggest moment of disappointment this semester because I lost an entire weeks worth of points. I completely understand the learning curve you've had with online learning. I started doing online classes at my community college so I feel it was a good precursor for online classes at UF. Without having done online classes at my community college, I would probably have had the same learning curve you did. Awesome post this week!

    Sincerely,
    Ayla Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again,
    I love the fact that this class had made you take more risks academically. It is important to get yourself out of your comfort zone sometimes to make sure you get that reward you really want. Online classes are definitely overwhelming at every start of a semester. However, once you get the hang of it, everything falls in place. I wish you the best of luck if you work online in the future UF classes you enroll in! It is great to always ask questions if you are uncertain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie,
    I really liked reading about your reflection on one of your past failures. I also completely relate to you on submitting the wrong URL’s in this class and being distraught. This happened to me on I believe week 3 and I remember feeling super discouraged and like my grade would never be able to make a comeback. I fortunately was able to get my grade back to an A, and I'm sure that you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading through your celebrating failure assignment. I also had the same problems with this class because most classes do not make students turn in the assignment and declare it to get credit. I made the mistake of forgetting to declare a few assignments in this class because I assumed I would be done by turning in the assignment. Like you, I have learned from these mistakes and now I remember to declare the assignment being done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stephanie,
    I really like your story, thanks for sharing a lot. I think your experience is a good example for a lot of UF student since a lot of students are used to a traditional class, the online class would be a challenge for them We can learn a lot from your experience which is good for other’s UF students in their online class studying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment