Assignment 21A Reading Reflection No. 2
Assignment 21A Reading Reflection No. 2
For this assignment, I chose to read and reflect on Cognitive Surplus "How Technology Make Consumers into Collaborators"
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
There are a few arguments Clay Shirky makes in this book beginning with how individuals make use of their cognitive surplus or free time stating that there are two billion people with an estimated trillion hours of cognitive surplus. He goes on to say the largest amount of that time was spent on watching television which produces virtually no added cultural value. While with the advent of technology, opportunities have emerged for individuals to cognitively engage and participate and collectively share on a large scale producing cultural value and perpetuating change. He also discussed how we, as humans, like to consume but we also like to produce and share. The internet has made it possible for amateurs to do things only professionals could do in the generations prior and they do it much of the time for free.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
The greatest connection I made was that all of the amateurs who are able to do things now because of technology and our global connectedness in that it has widened the playing field for entrepreneurs to enter the game. I also found that the author talks in great detail about social culture which we have discussed as a resource in entrepreneurial activities. He also discusses how our free time is the basic raw materials for cognitive surplus (which are also inputs) which is combining means, motive and opportunity.
There are a few arguments Clay Shirky makes in this book beginning with how individuals make use of their cognitive surplus or free time stating that there are two billion people with an estimated trillion hours of cognitive surplus. He goes on to say the largest amount of that time was spent on watching television which produces virtually no added cultural value. While with the advent of technology, opportunities have emerged for individuals to cognitively engage and participate and collectively share on a large scale producing cultural value and perpetuating change. He also discussed how we, as humans, like to consume but we also like to produce and share. The internet has made it possible for amateurs to do things only professionals could do in the generations prior and they do it much of the time for free.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
The greatest connection I made was that all of the amateurs who are able to do things now because of technology and our global connectedness in that it has widened the playing field for entrepreneurs to enter the game. I also found that the author talks in great detail about social culture which we have discussed as a resource in entrepreneurial activities. He also discusses how our free time is the basic raw materials for cognitive surplus (which are also inputs) which is combining means, motive and opportunity.
We talked about our entrepreneurial ventures being small, fast and not so pretty. The author makes some of the same assertions with regard to businesses that have started as technology has advanced and how what the company's first intended use was not at all what it became, such as Facebook. This connects with what we learned about seeking out the problem and the solution and more importantly, the "what" and the "who" of a venture.
Another connection I saw was that the author mentions the idea of weak ties. He included research from Mark Granovetter's paper, "The Strength of Weak Ties," stating people tend to find jobs through casual acquaintances rather than close friends or family. We learned something similar about weak ties and cultivating social capital.
Another connection I saw was that the author mentions the idea of weak ties. He included research from Mark Granovetter's paper, "The Strength of Weak Ties," stating people tend to find jobs through casual acquaintances rather than close friends or family. We learned something similar about weak ties and cultivating social capital.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I think if I were to design an exercise for this class, it would be a study on what students do with their free time? I think it could help many people realize how much time we spend doing things that do not provide us with any real added value.
I think if I were to design an exercise for this class, it would be a study on what students do with their free time? I think it could help many people realize how much time we spend doing things that do not provide us with any real added value.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
There were a lot of things that I learned in this book. It was filled with so many historical facts from London's Gin Craze in the 1700's as a result of London's growth, to the printer, Gutenberg who developed movable type. I found myself taking copious notes. The most surprising thing I learned is that it is not really the technology that creates opportunities, it is what we do with the technology that creates opportunities and how attitudes and social and cultural norms are drivers for behaviors.
There were a lot of things that I learned in this book. It was filled with so many historical facts from London's Gin Craze in the 1700's as a result of London's growth, to the printer, Gutenberg who developed movable type. I found myself taking copious notes. The most surprising thing I learned is that it is not really the technology that creates opportunities, it is what we do with the technology that creates opportunities and how attitudes and social and cultural norms are drivers for behaviors.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your reading reflection on Cognitive Surplus “How Technology Makes Consumers into Collaborators,” I wished that I had read the book for my reflection. I found the point about how us spending a lot watching television complete holds us back from all opportunities and creativity. I definitely need to delete my Netflix account. I also found it extremely inspiring when you mentioned how many new ideas and opportunities can be created through the amount of modern technology available at our fingertips.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading through your assignment. I didn’t read the book, “How Technology Make Consumers into Collaborators” but it sounds like very interesting read. You did a great job at explaining the theme and concepts in the book. I agree with your conclusion on your learnings that technology is only really successful when we find ways to use it.