Assignment 6A Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends


  Economic trend: “Economic impact of cyber crime is significant and rising” written by Warwick         Ashford 02/21/2018
source: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252435439/Economic-impact-of-cyber-crime-is-significant-and-rising 
A)  Computer Weekly posted an article that confirmed information I had recently read in Inc. concerning the increasing cyber-attacks and the effects on the economy. The study showed attacks up on average about 11 percent a year for the last 3 years. What’s worse it that it is so under reported. Many people/businesses do not even realize they have been the target of cyber crime. 

B)  I believe there is an opportunity because there have been so many reports of breeches in the world of cyber. No one is immune to these attacks. Banks, academic institutions, fortune 500 companies, etc., they are all targets. 

C)  I believe that any business that stores personal information, payment card information, healthcare information would be a prototypical customer, but I think there is even more opportunity for smaller or mid-sized businesses. 

D)  I think it could be relatively easy to exploit the opportunity, but I think people/businesses need to be educated about cyber security.
I see the opportunity because this subject interests me and my husband is working in the industry now trying to grow his company in this space. I have witnessed the remediation process after a cyber-attack on a company and it is extensive and expensive. 

Economic trend: “Amazon’s Housing Boom” written by Mashayekhi, Fortune 1/1/2019 
Source: http://eds.a.ebscohost.com/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=5&sid=ef7ba146-f715-4095-80c8-13d940951d75%40sdc-v-sessmgr02

A) I found this opportunity in the UF library system in an article listed in Fortune. Because Amazon is so large and has now started its second headquarter location in New York, this article discusses the housing market trends and the exploding growth in the real estate sector. The real estate sales have increased by over 100 percent since 2017.

B) I believe there could be opportunity not only in real estate but perhaps residential housing development.

C) The most prototypical customers are new employees to Amazon and people who are relocating for career opportunities within the company.

D) I think it could be easy to exploit the opportunity, especially for real estate professionals already familiar with the market. For developers, I could see the process being more difficult because of city/state regulations.

I found this interesting because it seems that Amazon is creating some economic trends because its reach is so vast and the company is so large. It had not occurred to me that housing would be in high demand but the increase of 100 percent real estate sales indicates there is a upward trend in the housing market.

Regulatory trend: “Trump Administration Releases Final ACA Rule for 2019” written by Steven Porter 4/9/2018
Source: https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/finance/trump-administration-releases-final-aca-rule-2019

A) I believe there is always opportunity in the health insurance industry. This is an issue that so many Americans are faced with and a need for affordable insurance is so important. Reducing regulatory restrictions could aid in making insurance more affordable.

B) The Affordable Care Act is now supposed to offer more flexibility but at the same time has restrictions on preexisting conditions. The bottom line is that there needs to be an insurance market that is both affordable and widely accepted.

C) The prototypical customers are individuals who are self-employed, (1099) independent contractors, part time employees like service related industry employees

D) I believe this opportunity would be difficult to exploit because there are so many regulations governing the insurance industry and comes with huge financial burden. Even for companies who provide healthcare coverage it is one of the largest expenses they incur.

I think this is an opportunity because the unmet need is so great. I find this both interesting and frustrating as there are so many Americans with no healthcare.

Regulatory Trend: FAA Reauthorization Bill Establishes New Conditions for Recreational Use of Drones
Sources: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=91844&omniRss=news_updatesAoc&cid=101_N_U

https://www-economist-com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/leaders/2019/01/26/drones-need-to-be-encouraged-and-people-protected

A) I found this opportunity to be interesting as there is an emergence in the drone industry for so many different business opportunities. Drones are doing everything from surveying to saving lives. I found an article in the Economist that sparked my interest where it stated Goldman Sachs estimated the industry would reach $100 billion in businesses like security, delivery and surveying. This led me to the FAA Reauthorization Bill that was passed a few months ago regulating the use of drones.

B) I believe there is an opportunity in the drone industry and maybe even another type business that helps drone businesses avoid regulatory issues.

C) The prototypical customer would be anyone who owns or purchases an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) or drone especially if their intent is to use it to create a business.

D) I think the opportunity will be relatively easy since the regulations are not harsh so barrier to entry would not be a big problem. I also think this industry would attract many enthusiasts who could start an entrepreneurial venture.

While I found the opportunity looking for economic trends, I found the regulatory issues surrounding the use of drones. It really interested me because I see them at races, at sporting events, in security, film-making and the list goes on. There is so much opportunity related to drone use.

Comments

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I found the opportunities that you found in all four economic and regulatory changes to be very informative. I had no idea that cyber crime has become such a serious issue. I completely agree with you that interest security would be a very easy opportunity to exploit given the fact that so many businesses are completely dependent on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading through the four opportunities that you chose. I agree with your opportunity about health care insurance. I think it is extremely important for everyone to be able to afford health care insurance and so many people in the U.S. do not have health care insurance. I think you did an excellent job of portraying all your opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment